Friday, February 26, 2010

The Lord is nearer than you think!

The memory verse my son received from Kids for Christ this week is Psalm 145:18, "The Lord is near to all who call on Him." This really caught my eye this week and has really been laying heavy on heart. This week has truly been a test for me.

This week a friend of mine took his own life. While this has been a shock for me, it has been a trial beyond description for the family he left behind. As I have been praying for them, I am reminded by scripture that the Lord is near to all who call on Him. I went to the calling hours tonight and the family, while grieving, is calling on the Lord often. And the Lord was near tonight. The Lord brings strength in times of weakness, and peace in times of distress. It was also reassuring to see the outpouring of support form the church the family attends. The Lord was near to those calling on him.

On the other side of the spectrum, tomorrow I am officiating my first marriage. They are friends of mine from childhood. They are nervous as they embark on their life together, and I am nervous as this is my first wedding as a minister. But I am reassured knowing that as I call on the Lord to calm my fears, and my friends call on the Lord to bless their marriage, He will be near.

The old hymn says "What a friend we have in Jesus", and how true that is. Knowing with confidence and conviction that the "Lord is near to all who call on Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment