Saturday, May 29, 2010

Lazy, crazy hazy days of summer...I don't think so!

Wow, I can’t believe how long it has been since my last blog update. Couple reasons for that: 1) My kid’s activity schedule is totally out of control! I coach my daughter’s softball team, I am the den leader for my son’s Cub Scout den, and my other son plays T-Ball. 2) I am not taking summer classes, so I am really not reading or writing a lot of in-depth material that would require me to ponder and dispute different perspectives and notions. And 3) My responsibilities at church have changed a little (the real reason for this blog entry).

I was preaching every other week, and used my blog often as a sounding board or a place to share an advanced clip of the week’s message. I LOVE preaching, and I think part of my calling and my heart as an evangelist is in preaching and rightly dividing God’s word.

But lately, both the Sr. Pastor and I have noticed an encouraging sign at Turning Point. For even though we are very new, and still relatively small, we have a huge number of kids (primarily K-5th) coming to church. This is wonderful for the church and a responsibility that needs attended to. So, after some good discussion with the Sr. Pastor, I am going to preach a little less frequently and take over the children’s Sunday Church.
The reality is this: our children are a blessing. They are a gift from a God and as such they must looked after. Jesus reminds us in scripture to not inhibit the little children from coming to Him; He reminds us that we should believe in Him with the Faith of a child; He raised a little girl from the dead for her parents, he cured the blind son, he healed the Roman’s daughter, and on and on. It is clear that is a priority when you become a parent.

That said, I’ll be moving back to the role of leading Sunday school for the children. We need to teach them the basics of the faith. Actually, do you know the basics:
The 10 Commandments
The Golden Rule
The Beatitudes
The Great Commission
The Roman Road to Salvation
The Sacraments
And many, many more…

If you know these, odds are you have your parents or your Sunday school teacher to thank!

No comments:

Post a Comment