Sunday, June 3, 2012

Looking For Signs From God

17 Gideon replied, “If now I have found favor in your eyes, give me a sign that it is really you talking to me. 18 Please do not go away until I come back and bring my offering and set it before you.”  And the Lord said, “I will wait until you return.” Judges 6:17-18

So I had to fly to Charlotte, NC on a business trip today, and anyone who knows me knows that I HATE to fly. I do not use the word hate lightly, but I do hate flying. I hate leaving my family, but most of all I hate it because; well...I'm afraid to fly. I don't like getting in, clicking the seat belt, and not being in control of the situation. I know that my fear is silly, and I have prayed and prayed to overcome it using such passages as Psalm 23, and Matthew 6, and while I have gotten increasingly better, I still don't like to fly.

But it seems like every time I have to do something that I really don't like to do, or better stated something I am afraid to do; the Lord seems to answer my prayers in some manner that helps to calm my nerves and lets me know that He is always near. Today was no different. Here's what happened:

I board the plane (a small regional jet with a 1/2 seat configuration) and it just so happens that the only open seat after everybody else boarded was the one next to me. I heard the Flight Attendant get on her phone and and tell the desk that they could take the one "stand by" customer that was waiting in the terminal. They hurry him aboard the plane as I am already seated and buckled in, with my Bible open and reading Psalm 23. Now this was an older gentleman, very nice. He stows away his carry on luggage, sits next to me and says this:

"Well hello there. I see you're reading the Scriptures."
I said, "Yep, I never travel without them."
"That's good." he said.

I introduce myself, and he does likewise. Here is where the story gets good. His name is Virgil and he is the head of the Aviation Dept. for Samaritan’s Purse. That’s right, he is a big time Christian and he has been a pilot for close to 50 years! As you can imagine our conversation went wild. I started by telling him I was afraid to fly, and he responded by saying, "It sure beats walking!”

I told him about my family, my ministry, Community Bible Church, but it all paled in comparison to what he got to share with me!! He works directly for Franklin Graham, plus he knows and told some great stories about Bev Shea, Cliff Barrows, and he even shared a little from his meetings with Billy Graham himself. How cool, how blessed I was by his company. As you can imagine, the hour flew by (literally) and we soon landed.

We parted by shaking hands, and he said 'Well. I know we'll meet again, either flying around here, or when we get to where we're eventually going." We said God bless you to each other and we parted ways.

You know, the Lord knew how stressed I was about this trip. I prayed for comfort, I prayed for peace, and the Lord provided it in the form of a wonderful chance meeting with Virgil. What a wonderful God we serve. Look around my friends, sometimes I think we may miss the many ways that the Lord answers us when we need it most.

No comments:

Post a Comment