Thursday, March 25, 2010

Christ and Culture Revisited

Now that I am not starting school until the fall I decided to stop being academically lazy and take advantage of the time to catch up on some long overdue reading. I started reading this book called "Christ and Culture Revisited" by DA Carson. Great read so far as I am about 40 pages in. Came across something that made me think: "Sin is in us, Grace is in God".

I think at times we fail to realize just how corrupted we are by our sin nature. Nothing in us is good, everything is marred by sin. Even our greatest achievements: great building, medical breakthroughs, works of art and culture, all pail in comparison the the Grace that is in God.

Psalm 8:4 reads "What is man, that thou art mindful of him?"

Luke 18:19 reads "Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone."

Mt 6:19 reads about our treasures, "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal"

The best we can do is Titus 2:13, "while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ,"

I think we can too easily take what we do and think, this is good. But we're not. Our hope is not in ourselves, our hope is only in Jesus.

Some thoughts I've had as I start through this book. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment