Monday, February 18, 2013

My Purpose in Christ: Reflections on turning 40

There is so much going on at church. New people are coming almost daily, and the mission field is ripe to overflowing!! Over this last weekend our praise band got to participate in some very cool worship with another local church. And, I was blessed to be there and help one of our 4th graders accept our Lord Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour (which is really the main purpose of everything we do!). I feel I am exactly where the Lord wants me to be to advance the Kingdom!


Last week, my wife and I celebrated a “milestone” birthday as we turned 40. I am blessed beyond belief with my wife, kids, work and ministry.  Personally, this event has had me reflect on what the purpose of my life should be. Through the Holy Spirit, I turned to God's Holy Word to help me understand my purpose, and I have been drawn over and over again the last several days to the following passages:

  • Ephesians 2:10 (NLT) “It is God Himself who has made us what we are and given us new lives from Christ Jesus. Long ago He planned that we should spend these lives in helping others.”

  • Mark 8:35 (NLT) “Only those who throw away their lives for My sake and the sake of the good news will ever know what it means to really live.”

  • James 1:22-15 (NET) But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourselves. 23 For if someone merely listens to the message and does not live it out, he is like someone who gazes at his own face in a mirror. 24 For he gazes at himself and then goes out and immediately forgets what sort of person he was. 25 But the one who peers into the perfect law of liberty and fixes his attention there, and does not become a forgetful listener but one who lives it out—he will be blessed in what he does.”
I can't say it any better than God's own Word can.  I have been prayerfully considering the purpose, call and ministry that the Lord has laid upon my heart. I love the Lord Jesus. In all things, the sun rises and sets on Jesus Christ and I want my life and ministry to always reflect that fact. I need to put away what has troubled me in the past, make right the things I need to make right, and I need to remain bold and steadfast in proclaiming the Good News. 

Give thanks to the Lord, our God and King!  His love endures forever!!

No comments:

Post a Comment