Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Year's Resolutions! Well. sort of?

Here we are, January 1, 2015.  A new year.  A clean slate.  As we say at work, "2014 was great, now we reset the scoreboard.  It's 0-0."  Yes, this is the time when we reflect on the prior year, think of things we accomplished and things we didn't, and try to plan for improvements with (what else), our "New Year's Resolutions"! 


Whether it's to lose weight, or work out, or get married, or make more money...etc., "the resolution" is the tool we use during this time every year to hold ourselves accountable.  There is one problem though:  Life.  Life happens, and for one reason or another, we cannot accomplish our resolutions.  So what typically happens is that by January 21st, while we meant well, our resolutions fall by the wayside.  I am guilty of this, as I am sure many of you are as well.  So this year, I am taking a different approach.


Rather than come up with super specific resolutions, I have come up with a list of 20 items/areas that I would like to work on for the following year.  There are no specific goals with these target areas (i.e., losing 20lbs, getting married, making xx% more, etc.), nor are there specific deadlines (i.e., By summer, by start of school, etc.).  Rather, these are just areas in my life that I want to address over the course of 2015...all of 2015.


So here is my list of "To Do's" (for lack of a better term) for 2015, in no particular order:
  1. Read more, and pray more
  2. Prioritize my marriage relationship and my wife more
  3. Watch less TV
  4. Be kinder, gentler, more patient, more grateful and more graceful
  5. Use social media less
  6. Get more rest/sleep
  7. Eat healthier food, eat less junk food
  8. Write and journal more
  9. Exercise more, work towards exercising daily
  10. Play with the kids more
  11. Sit less
  12. Be more active/engaged when I am home
  13. Be a better employee and servant
  14. Complain less
  15. Listen to more music
  16. Do more yard work and housework
  17. Listen better
  18. React slower
  19. Demand less
  20. Love more
I'm sure there are lots of other things I could add or replace, but this is what I came up with.  I've written in my journal, and am also writing it here in the hopes of creating accountability for myself.  Every day, every week, every month, every year is a gift from God, and I do not want to waste it.  I just want to try all I can, to be all I can be for my Lord.  I'm excited for whatever 2015 may hold, and since I know that my Lord Jesus Christ holds it all in His hands, I can rest assured in Him. 


“Israelis like a trained heifer treading out the grain—
    an easy job she loves.
    But I will put a heavy yoke on her tender neck.
I will force Judah to pull the plow
    and Israel to break up the hard ground.
12 I said, ‘Plant the good seeds of righteousness,
    and you will harvest a crop of love.
Plow up the hard ground of your hearts,
    for now is the time to seek the Lord,
that he may come
    and shower righteousness upon you.’



Hosea 10:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment