Tuesday, April 27, 2010

How great is Providence!!

While normally I blog about sermon and school related or religious topics, I felt like I had to write a little about a couple day trip I took to Providence, Rhode Island last week. I spent 2 day there, and praise God what awesome place. I will say that of all the places I have visited in the USA, Rhode Island is quite possibly my favorite state!

My trip started with a bang last Thursday. I forgot a Swiss Army knife in my back pack from 6 months ago. That said, once security found it at the airport, they tossed the entire contents of my back pack and carry on. Oh well, and inconvenience yes...but safe and secure is what I prefer. I do miss my knife though. Also, about an hour after we landed, out of no where we had a straight up 2012 type storm: lightening, heavy rain, and hail that literally covered every square inch of ground. 20 minutes later it was sunny. How odd?

So this was a work trip, but besides multiple meetings and appointments, Providence and Newport are absolutely spectacular!! Roger Williams founded Rhode Island as he left Boston in search of religious freedom. And that legacy can be seen with spectacular old churches, great early colonial architecture everywhere, and extremely friendly people.

From a food standpoint, this was the best travel I have ever had. Our hotel was located at the entrance of Federal Hill, which is Providence's Little Italy. We had lunch at Angelo's Civita Farnese. I had Calamari as an appetizer and Tripe as my entree. Th Calamari was good, but the tripe was absolutely the bomb. It was just like eating at my mom's. Capped it off with a home made Zeppole and an espresso.

Providence also has a HUGE Greek population, which was news to me. That night we at nearly on campus at Brown University at a Greek eatery called Andreas. Absolutely a great meal!! For appetizer's we had Sopetika (which is flam bayed mozzarella cheese in brandy), Baked Feta, and grilled octopus. For my main course I had Greek Souvlaki, and capped it off with a Greek coffee. Really good stuff.

On Friday we were in Newport, which is a port city, and I was ready for some seafood. We went to place near the fish market called Chopmist Charlie's. No lie, I think I ate the greatest meal of my entire life in this place. I had a cup of clear broth Rhode Island Clam Chowder, probably the best soup I have ever had; followed by homemade clam cakes (which are basically hush puppies loaded up with fresh clams); and for my main meal I had fried fully belly clams. I have never had a fully belly clam. The best way to describe it is as a clam strip on steroids. Huge, full clams loaded with fresh flavor. Seriously outstanding.

We left later that afternoon, but what a nice place to visit. I plan on going back very soon. To tie this in somewhat to my faith. It is amazing how we live in the USA, all the same country, but you can go to Las Vegas, or Dallas, or Minneappolis, or New York, or Providence and experience in each a different aspect of the creation of God. Wonderful, wonderful stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment